What methods exist for CHESS??

13 replies [Last post]
Guajiro's picture

can anyone explain to me a method of remembering chess peices?

duyhoa83's picture
Re: What methods exist for CHESS??

Hi. You can refer the technique from How to develop a perfect memory by Mr Dominic.

Guajiro's picture

where can i find this? in a specific book of his or a vid?

duyhoa83's picture

You can find this book from some sites in the internet. It has 1 chapter about how to memorize chess pieces. If you still get difficulty in having the book, plz pm to me.

Geoff's picture

How to develop a perfect memory on google books.

What is it exactly you want to remember?
Games / Moves / Positions of pieces on the board?

Guajiro's picture

I want to remember peice positions. to be honeset it serves no practical purpose that i can think of. Some of my friends are fascinated with my abilty to remember things so it would not serve for much more than being a party trick to remember positions.

Geoff's picture

I'd probably do it like this:

Create a journey with 64 locations.
I'd probably divide it up into sets of 8.

Then you assign people/animals/objects to each of the pieces.
White Queen: Queen of England.
Black Queen: Aretha Franklin.
etc.

Then when you need to memorise the board, run through the journey and put the right person in the right location.

When you need to recall, run though the locations until you find the piece you're looking for.

Depends a lot on what type of system (if any) you have already.
With enough practice anything gets easy. Smile

Guajiro's picture

thanks. i havent had time lately to come up with a system to do that yet. I kind of had thought to do a grid system and then have people call out posistions to me like "A5" etc. i will start thinkin about it.

thanks

John's picture

If you play a bit of chess then recognising and visualising patterns comes easier. There are certain groupings of pieces that occur more commonly and in time become like a language of their own.
Dividing the board up into quarters can help with visualisation.
Chess masters do not use memory techniques like loci and pegs as discussed here.

However if you were to use memory techniques Geoff's method is good.
My first thought was perhaps a more complicated alternative of using the usual journey method with each locus containing a person performing an action. No more than 32 different loci would be needed.
You would have images for 64 different characters (representing each square) performing 12 different actions (representing the 12 different types and colours of pieces).
Only remember the person representing each occupied square performing the action for a particular piece. This way only occupied squares are remembered but more work is needed on the images - unless you already have images of people for numbers one to sixty four.
The action for pawns is likely to occur frequently. I would probably make this something like sleeping, looking blankly at you or even no action.
Good Luck

climbformemory's picture
Grand Master of MemoryNational Championship Winner

Here's a better idea:

you dont need 64 locations on a journey, only 32 (there are 32 pieces). Make sure you know the positioning codes for the layout of a chess boar (A1 - H8, etc). First, come up with an image for each piece:

king - crown
rook - castle
pawn - prawn/shrimp
bishop - ship
etc.

whatever

Then when you are given the board to memorize skip move along the chess board starting at a1 to a8, then b1 to b8, ect, moving up the board. Skip empty spaces, but when you encounter a piece, say a1 has a king there, transform a1 into your dominic system or whatever you use. So for me a1 translates to 11 (andre agassi). So then I picture andre wearing a crown in the 1st of 32 locations on my journey. So part of the image preserves the location on the board, the other part of the image preserves the type of piece.

Groat's picture

I'd use the same method as climbformemory because then you'd need at most 32 loci, and very likely less

bangalos's picture

Look at the position, and determine whether it resembles:
#1. Starting position (less than 10 moves from each side)?
#2. Very few pieces (less than 10)
#3. Middle game (Neither #1 nor #2).

The advantage of conducting this survey is that many positions resemble #1 or #2.

In case they do resemble #1 or #2, you can convert the position to numbers: Each Piece:Square combination yields a 3 digit number: There are only 6 pieces in chess: King, Queen, Bishop, (K)Night, Rook and Pawn. So each piece yields a digit. And there are 64 squares. So, each square yields you 2 digits. If a piece was captured, you can use 00 to represent that.

In case of #3, you can use the FEN method

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth%E2%80%93Edwards_Notation

kerpa's picture

I thought I might post suggestions for anyone interested in improving their chess play, although I know this is a bit off topic, as the question relates to exhibitions of memory of a chess board.

I'm not practicing what I preach (I have other interests), but ask strong chess players, and they will agree: If you want to improve your strength, play as many timed (slow) games as you can. Annotate as many of your own games as you can, and get the annotations reviewed by a least a master. Annotations consist of alternative trees of move sequences, and give the reason why one variation is better than the next. The act of annotation and review will enforce the memorization of the positional chunks. It will link them with chess strategy, which is a dynamic process of rules for leading from one chunk to the next. If you do this, by the way, you will eventually find your memory improves to the point where you do not need a board to play a chess game.

Hope this helps.

Michael Miller

gnosis's picture

I've gotten interested in memorizing composed endgame studies, and use a method probably closest to bangalos' suggestion:

1) number the squares (rank and file both going from one to eight): a1-a8 = 11-18, e1-e8 = 51-58, etc.
2) number the pieces:
wk 1 ------ bk 11
wq 2 ------ bq 12
wb 3,4 ------ bb 13, 14
wn 5,6 ------ bn 15, 16
wr 7,8 ------ br 17, 18
wp 9 ------ bp 19

For example: wk on b5, wb on c5 p's on a6, h3 / bk on b8, bb on c8, bn on a1, p's on d7, h6 (a study by Troitzky) would be encoded: 125, 335, 916, 983 / 1128, 1338, 1511, 1947, 1986.

I've been playing for a long time, so it's usually enough for me to remember the key move or idea (in this case, 1.Bd6, then WK chases BN from 11 to 88), though the same encoding could be used for the whole series of moves.

This probably wouldn't be practical for memorizing entire games, though I haven't seen a method that is - visual memory plus registering a few key moves or structures throughout the game would probably work better. For improving, I think it is far more useful to memorize typical positions.

- John

Learn memory techniques for free! Just click the "Sign up" button below to create an account and we'll send you an email with some tips on how to get started.